Thursday, March 26, 2015

Costume Kits for Seussical Volunteers

There is a saying in my Event Management life: "show volunteers HOW its done, GIVE them the tools they need and Volunteers step up and Make It Happen." My event management experience bleeds over into my mom life...here it is. I volunteered to make costumes for my son's elementary school musical - Seussical the Musical. I found such a supportive helpful group of volunteers (to help me in my volunteering!)... these parents did not disappoint.

...Parents could pick up and drop off Kits in the office...

Provided in the Costume Kit:

1. cutout templates of the pieces volunteers would be assembling & material for cutting.

2. the instruction sheet was hand written with drawn figures. Some people are visual and others do better with written guidelines.

3. scrap felt for decorating.

4. tacky glue.


Like these posts? SEE MORE at our New Blog Home JoanneKleeMarketing/Insights


The Volunteer parents really stepped up!!! Over 35 people contributed to our costume success! Kits were made for ribbon rods (made from FREE paint stirrers), WHO everything (except the sewn shorts and skirts) suspenders, collars, headbands, ties, etc., the hunters reversible vest to fish and a separate kit to make the fins and tails, where the mom took extra effort to decorate them!


"Show volunteers HOW its done,
GIVE them the tools they need and
Volunteers step up and Make It Happen." 

Seussical Costume Kits for Volunteers by APrincipalandWifeTravels
Seussical Costume Kits for Volunteers, a photo by APrincipalandWifeTravels on Flickr.


In all fairness, there are two important life experiences that gave me the talent and skill set to complete this project.

I have been on stage, backstage as crew and behind the scenes in theater performances all through High School and College. I LOVE the theater. My background helps me with the vision and special effects for costumes.


And as you know blog reader, I am a Consultant with my own company in Event Management, Joanne Klee JK Marketing and Event Management. My organizational skills and attention to detail are a big part of the business success. And fun!


Final photo to come....  

I couldn't have tackled this project without the help of some pretty amazing parents involved in the school and show. I created volunteer kits. YES these kits are time consuming to assemble. And you have this classic event planning moment: "I'll just do it myself." Of course you CAN do it... but SHOULD YOU do it all?

NO, don't do it all. You will be exhausted, and frustrated! Pinspiration is tremendous! But realize each project takes time, from minutes to hours. Include the shopping time, cutting, assembling, and all the steps in between. So NO - Don't do it all yourself. My costume kits took hours, but they also saved me DAYS! 

See more here on the final Costume Kits.

And here on the Final Costumes

~~~





From the Everyday to the Extraordinary...

Joanne

Posted by Joanne KleĆ©, 
Owner | Consultant

Joanne Klee Marketing & Events
Service Excellence | Detailed | One Stop Solutions


Come meet me where you are:Twitter | Facebook 
WebSite | Blog



Content Copyright protected. Include a link to this post when Sharing or Quoting any aspect of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment