Monday, February 29, 2016

Making a Dinner Menu: The Menu, tips, advice and ideas.

I love to cook. But I don't always have time. I have found tho that staying on top of these at home chef skills help me keep my edge both in my business and as a mom.

Here is a recent selection I put together for a meeting of friends at my home. After getting any food allergies and cultural preferences down, I pulled from my repertoire of everyday yummy meals I can easily kick up to fancy.


Be sure to visit our NEW BLOG HOME at joannekleemarketing.com today.


My friend who knew both guests helped me make some selections.

I always offer a meat and a fish. Sides are usually vegetarian to appease anyone eating light or vegetarian. I don't tend to serve basic salads (lettuce and veggies) unless its our summer block party and Im feeding 50+ people. 

My little secret: everyone thinks I worked all day and magically whipped together a multi course meal in 2 hours. Thats Not the case. 

My soups can be made ahead, up to 2 days (and taste better if the flavors meld over at least a day).

Meats can marinate a day ahead, and be popped in the over with little handling. Or a slow cooker will do the trick with pulled pork or braised beef dishes.

I love fresh ingredients- but I am a mom, who works. So i have learned how to freshen canned goods. Black beans are rinsed and simmered in onions, garlic and peppers, or my homemade frozen cubes of sofrito. Beets get sliced and a squeeze of lime. Mandarins don't need extra love because they absorb the flavors they are presented with. This also goes for pre-sliced servings or shredded carrots versus my doing the sou chef work. Nearly everything can be bought convenient style. Butternut squash, comes frozen and cubed - easy peezy goodness.


"Black beans are rinsed and simmered in onions, garlic and peppers, or my homemade frozen cubes of sofrito."

In this same tone, raw ingredients are served fresh, always. Fresh bread- greek style is excellent for table service. With that our local market has Amish and Polish butter where the flavor comes thru in every schmear. Soften butter at room temp for 15 mins before serving. A fancy plate and butter knife helps make it appealing.

Desserts like flan are a make ahead must, needing time to cool. And bought ice cream is easily topped with frozen fruits and sugar, heated in a sauce pan for an easy compote!

Starters of course can be slices before guests arrive. I save time by opening all my cheese packages in advance and store in an air tight container. That saves 15-20 minutes easily when guest arrival is approaching. The same goes for rinsing grapes when they arrive at home. Get it done and forget it. (Also dried fruits can replace fresh, so I always have a bag in the pantry just in case.) these time savers let you have those extra moments for pouring wine and resting as you wait for guests.

"Dried fruits can replace fresh, so I always have a bag in the pantry just in case. These time savers let you have those extra moments for pouring wine and resting as you wait for guests."


So now: Open container, slice cheeses, arrange pre-washed fruit. Replace in container and display. Open crackers, pour into basket. Done. Wine please.


Dinner for the Great Meeting: 

Hows arrival around 4:30

These are my specialties. Happy Selecting. 

Dinner Served Family Style

Starters:
- Cheeses, grapes, and baguette slices and those target crackers ;-)

Table Starter:
- Red Beets and Spinach salad with mandarins and a balsamic reduction.

Pick a Soup: (served with Greek Bread and Polish Butter)
- cup of soup: corn chowder w or w out shrimp 
- OR Butternut squash
- or seafood soup (sopa de mariscos).

Babcias Pierogi will be served w sour cream.

Pick 1 an additional entree...:

French-ish
- Shrimp Creole: shrimp saute in red tomatoe sauce with veggies and creole -not spicy- seasoning. Served over white Jasmine Rice. Siraha sauce or tabasco on the side.

Mexican Style -
- Fajitas with lotsa of veggies mixed peppers, onions. And served with a variety plate of seared steak, chicken and shrimp.

Toppings on table: sour cream, cheese (fresco or cojito), cilantro, etc.

Or Soft shell Tilapia Tacos.
Same toppings as above.

Guatemala:
Tostadas Guate style - a make your own fun light meal.

Make your own tostada; Layer onto a Crispy tortillas:


1. 1 spoon of this Veggie base: red beets, carrots, green beans, diced and cooked.
2. toppings at the table: ground beef, onions (raw), mexican cojito or fresco cheese, boiles egg slices, lime weges, sour cream.
3. Sauces: dallop of tabasco, horseradish, (even wasabi - not true to the original dish).
4. Enjoy over a plate! 



Pick your 1 starch and 1 veggie:
- Baked rosemary garlic red potatoes (or fingerlings if I can find them!)
- green beans sauteed & lightly breaded,
- tri-color carrots in sweet glaze
- black beans and rice (Puerto Rican Style, made with a homemade sofrito base).
*if you pick tostada I recommend rice, and black beans will be served on the side. Tostada really is an all in one kind of meal.


Desserts
- Drink: Eisewine (Icewine) and Djadeks (grandpas) wine

Small servings of a variety of: 
- Homemade Flan
- Homemade Crepes with Nutella or Butter and Sugar
- or custard ice cream served with a compote fruit reduction, berry mix. Or mango.

- expresso, or americano, served with pan warmed milk (light froth) for  coffees or blooming flower green tea.

         ### 

Can't wait to see what you pick!!

Day 4: Leave Shin Yokohama Japan and take bullet train to Hiroshima. Morning Breakfast, Yokohama souvenirs, sleeping on the train
Leaving Shin Yokohama. These are Fantastic Dinner Options


Posted by Joanne Klee,
Consultant Principal
JK Marketing and Events

Comment Below on what you THE READER would select...

No comments:

Post a Comment