Thursday, November 13, 2014

Launching a Business and the Evolution of Service Excellence

JK Marketing and Events is a company born out of the needs of Business Owners who have shared they "don't have the time or staff to manage an event."

I am a traveler at heart, an organizer by nature, optimistic, and a Chicago-an born and raised. When I reflect on where I've been in life, it helps me understand how I got to this place, this level in my career, and how to keep growing. 

Not only financially, but in expertise and helping others achieve their goals. My decade in consulting deserves a little reflection.


A CV Doesn't Say It All


In my early career I had worked in banking for years (over 15 years), first as a way to pay for those extra expenses during college, evolving into a long term very unique career. Selling came naturally in my conversations with customers. I was promoted quickly, where I am certain being bi-lingual helped. I provided extensive customer service in this role, not because I was trying to do more, but because I liked helping others. My success grew as my mentor really showed me that genuinely caring for customers was simply the right thing to do... and the business would follow... 



SALES SUPPORT ACROSS A TRI-STATE MARKET

My first big role was behind the scenes in the launch of a new premier small business division, providing sales support across the tri-state area. This is before "small business" was a thing. (It was so much not a thing then that their was a category: SOHO, single owner home office and the US Bureau on stats showed in 1999 Illinois had a mere 62,000 small businesses). At the time the Federal Small Business Association (SBA) lending was a small budget item, advertising in this division was non-existent. Long hours doesn't even begin to cover the amount of time at the office in those early days of my career, although my mileage reimbursement account was full since we traveled for working with offices that eventually crossed 5 states. 

Like these posts? SEE MORE at our New Blog Home JoanneKleeMarketing/Insights



As for service standards, when an employee called from their awards trip because they "couldn't get thru to the travel agent & got bumped from their flight," I channeled my inner travel agent and I was able to help trouble shoot their situation (having many, many years of travel experience).  


MARKETING MANAGER & THEN SOME...

This type of corporate experience was tremendous. I worked with departments across the company, including Marketing for our campaigns, Finance to establish budgets and sales goals, Legal (to make sure we didn't give anything away) and  Executives across of the various lines of business to gain their perspective and negotiate sales goals. I was reading P&L statements, I was eager to learn, and I did... the experience at that time was equal to having at least five different jobs rolled into ONE amazing job

I always strive for more, and found my comfort in Marketing. Multi aspect projects, advertising, high-stakes campaigns, working with various agency experts, accountability, more events and working close with Executives to help them realize their goals. 


We launched amazing and innovative Advertising and Direct Mail Campaigns to the sales force and reached new levels of success. More experience and more long hours and I didn't run from the accountability. So many moving parts can be frustrating, unless your brain works this way, constantly sorting, organizing and checking things off and completed on the list.


"Moving parts can be frustrating, unless your brain works this way, constantly sorting, organizing and checking things off and completed on the list."


At the later end of my corporate career, we received countless unique marketing requests for niche services. Working with many industries providing customized ads and messages "for that client." 


I'll tell you a little secret, travel teaches you to trust your instincts and to trust the locals who know their business and their markets, small and large. While I have cultural and broad travel experience across the U.S. and the world (4 continents, 9 countries, and 47 states), my business success comes from how I rely on the decision maker, who understands THEIR business. Trust in the people who live and breathe their expertise. It's a secret to success and a way to grow business.



"...my business success comes from how I rely on the decision makers, trust in the people who live and breathe their expertise. It's a secret to success and a way to grow business."


MARKETING ACROSS LINES OF BUSINESS

During the last leg of my corporate career, I really enjoyed working with the Executive Management team where I was able to build an understanding of my Executive teams goals and meeting their clients needs. We worked to put non-profits in front of financial experts for budget management and staff development, we created events for new opportunities like conducting business overseas, thinking outside the box, and partnering in house experts and clients expertise. 

Interacting with our clients in event settings allowed me to be at the table for privileged conversations with business owners, CEO's and Executive Directors. Amazing events bringing together people in real life for business growth the way that TV commercials only strive to suggest. And every time: on or under budget, period. Repeating the events as the demand for them grew.



ADVERTISING 
Our Corporate Division was working with large size mega-companies of $5 million in annual sales needed a bigger presence in the market, which led to us developing an advertising campaign for our customers - the Business Owners - to give a "testimonial" about what we, the bank, did well. 

Over the development of the testimonial advertising my Marketing role required me to meet with potential clients we planned to feature, to answer their questions, to meet our needs and theirs. I was lucky to tour client facilities, see the "guts" of a business operation and talk with business owners who were proud of their companies. But the big piece of the pie for me was that unique access to Business Owners who had been candid with me about their concerns. 

One big concern was of course the need for Marketing Management, without the full service agency price-tag. (And those price tags can be hefty for a non-profit or small size firm.) Business Owners don't have the time or the staff to manage an event or marketing project. And so the seed was planted...


"One big concern was of course the need for Marketing Management, without the full service agency price-tag. (And those price tags can be hefty for a non-profit or small size firm!) Business Owners don't have the time or the staff to manage an event or marketing project."

Through my extensive experience in Corporate Marketing and Events, I realized I could fill the niche. I understood business owners needs, my experience was extensive in marketing and event management. My detail oriented and budget conscious habits also lend to providing services for business and non-profits who don't have the time or staff for project tasks. Vendors, or event issues, a site visit, or worrying if the invitation will mail on time?  Did we get what's discussed at the last meeting, where's the agenda, who is handling the last survey?






JK MARKETING & EVENTS
Starting my Consulting Business: building on expertise and 20 years experience.


WHY Select JK Marketing and Events

A company was born. Well actually, first, my older son was born in 2005, and that's when I left my corporate career to be a Stay at Home Mom. Shortly thereafter the consulting company was born when I was called back by a former colleague and board member, being asked to help on an event for a non-profit who needed an event manager - I just couldn't stay away. For me, the details, the planning, and the management are all fun, rewarding and manageable. And because "my brain works that way," I started blogging. Mostly as a way to keep my creative muscle fit. 


My husband and I have three kids and live in the Chicagoland area. I am a full time mom and the full time Freelance & Consultant in Events and Marketing Management & Production... a.k.a. Joanne Stadnicki Klee "JK Marketing and Events." 

I love both jobs without having the tug of one over the other.


 
Chandeleirs and Unique Lighting,
Interesting features for a Great Event




JK MARKETING AND EVENTS 
FLEXIBILITY I provide as much Marketing or Event planning support as you need. I differentiate my project management services through building relationships with my clients, maintaining high-service standards and detailed project planning that, in my experience, makes the difference to successfully completing your project.
KEYS TO SUCCESS Service Excellence | One Stop Solutions | Detailed 
~ Service my clients' needs promptly and efficiently.
~ Attention to detail.
~ Maintain an excellent working relationship with vendors.~ Maintain a professional image at all times.

EMPLOYMENT Freelance Project-to-project employment from professionals, business and non-profits or contractual assignments are both accepted.


Reach me on Twitter @JKleeMarketing 
or call directly 773.677.0783


          JK MARKETING AND EVENTS

From Everyday to the Extraordinary...





Posted by Joanne Klee,
Consultant Principal
JK Marketing and Events

No comments:

Post a Comment